Village of Maybrook Board Meeting
Monday, November 26, 2018
- Early Snowstorm– On Thursday, November 15th, we had our first snowstorm of the season and it turned out to be a lot worse than anticipated. I just want to remind all residents, as we do every year that there is no parking on village streets when the snow sticks to the ground. The cooperation of the residents allows the Maybrook DPW to snowplow safely and expeditiously for residents and more importantly for emergency vehicles. I want to thank the Maybrook DPW and the Maybrook Police Department for working together and making the village safe during and after the snowstorm.
- Maybrook “Christmas Tree Lighting– The Village of Maybrook’s Annual “Christmas Tree Lighting” was held on Sunday, November 25th. We had a great night of weather to welcome the Christmas season into the village. I want to thank the Maybrook 4-H Group, the Maybrook Wind Ensemble, Singer/ Song Writer Kevin Cronin and of course our Maybrook Troop 236 Boy Scout Band under the direction of Band Leader Jim Barnett and Scoutmaster Bill Gianico for providing holiday favorites for our annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony. Thank you to the Board of Trustees for their support of these events for the residents and their families. A Special “Thank You” to Shoprite (who provided refreshments), Maybrook Clerk/Treasurer Tina Johnson, Wallkill Federal Savings and Loan Denise Matthlier, Vaune Sherrin (face painting), Christmas Characters (Santa- Town of Montgomery Highway Superintendent Charlie Woznick, Rudolph- Jack Herman, Snowman- Keara Dunn, Ginger Bread Man- Julianna Williams , Christmas Tree- Patti Touhey, The Maybrook Fire Department for escorting Santa Claus and for fire safety, the Maybrook Police Department, E-Rock Entertainment, the Maybrook Department of Public Works for making the village festive for the event in particular Frankie Amodio who put a lot of extra effort in making sure everything was ready to go. This was a fun filled night and I hope everyone who attended had a great time! Enjoy the Christmas season and good health and happiness to all!
- Maybrook Wind Ensemble “Holiday Concert”– Our very own Maybrook Wind Ensemble will be performing a “Holiday Concert” on Friday, December 14th beginning at 7:30 pm at the Maybrook Senior Center. This is a great family event and guaranteed to put you in the holiday spirit! This event is free however donations are accepted to help with operating costs. The members of the Maybrook Wind Ensemble are gifted musicians and we are delighted to have them perform in our village!
- Toys for Tots- As mentioned at our last meeting, the Village of Maybrook Government Center will be a gift drop off for Toys for Tots this season. Residents who wish to donate to Toys for Tots may drop off unwrapped toys during regular business hours.
- “A Mental Health and Wellness Fair”- Breaking the Cycle of Violence through Forgiveness! Sponsored by the Viking Community Engagement Program– The Viking Community Engagement Program is sponsoring “A Mental Health and Wellness Fair” on Thursday, November 29th from 6:30 pm to 8 pm at the Valley Central High School. These are the type of presentations young families in our community need to take advantage of in today’s world. There are so many outside influences that shape the minds of young adults today. Education and Discussions are the keys to making our community a better place! Please mark your calendars for this event! The topics discussed through “Breaking the Cycle of Violence through Forgiveness” include; Discussions about Countering School Violence, Ending Bullying and Racism, Promoting Self-Respect and Respect of Others, Addressing Alcohol and Drug Addiction. I was asked to personally spread the word about this event. I believe education is our defense to combat these issues. It’s the beginning of a long journey and it needs to start somewhere! I fully support these types of seminars and hope families throughout our community take the time to attend and have open discussions with their children.
- Next Village Board Meeting- Our next Village of Maybrook Board of Trustees Meeting is scheduled for Monday, December 10, 2018. We only have one meeting in the month of December.
Be Safe and Be Well,
Mayor Dennis K. Leahy